Donuts in the Air Fryer? Why not? These Strawberry Glazed Air Fryer Donuts are the quickest and easiest donut recipe you will ever find!
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Try these fluffy strawberry cupcakes with strawberry frosting!
Easy Air Fryer Donuts
Donuts are a classic. So good, but not so fun to make. Have you tried? There’s hot oil splashing everywhere while you constantly misplace/juggle your thermometer and your tongs. It can all get, well, messy. And, I’d just rather not.
BUT – did you know you can make donuts in the air fryer?!? With very little stress and virtually no mess! I think I might even like my donuts done in the air fryer better than deep fried! They are crispy and flaky without being heavy and oily.
Bonus: No burn risk! It’s a win win.
Why Use Canned Biscuits for the Donut Dough?
So why use canned biscuit dough for the donuts? Well, why not?!? It could not get any easier. Canned biscuits are the perfect flaky texture for donuts, and you don’t have to go through the labors of making your own dough.You don’t have to waste the center of the biscuit that you pop out, either. Once you are done with your donuts, throw the holes into the air fryer, too, for your own homemade donut holes.
This is the simplest donut recipe. Seriously, you won’t believe how few ingredients you need!
- tube of refrigerated flaky biscuits
- oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- powdered sugar
- strawberry extract (or red food coloring)
- sprinkles, optional
How to Make Air Fryer Donuts
1. Form the Donuts: Open the biscuits and lay them out on a cutting board. Using a round 1-inch cookie cutter or donut cuter, cut the centers out of each biscuit.
2. Prep the Air Fryer: Brush oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket using a pastry brush or a paper towel.
3. Air Fry: Lay 3-4 biscuits in the basket. Cook at 350°F for 5 to 6 minutes, until the donuts are lightly browned.
4. Make the glaze: While the donuts cook, you can make the icing. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and strawberry extract until it’s smooth.
5. Glaze the donuts: As soon as the donuts come out of the air fryer, dip the top of the donuts into the glaze. I do this using tongs, as the donuts will be hot! Turn them each over and shake them gently to evenly spread the glaze. Then, set them on a cooling rack.
6. Top and serve: Top your donuts with sprinkles, if desired, and serve them warm!
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Donuts
I promise you, donuts can not get any easier than this. For the perfect air fryer glazed donuts, follow these simple tips.
- If you don’t have canned biscuits but you have loads of baking supplies you can, of course, make your own biscuit dough.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. You don’t want your donuts to touch at all. You will likely only be able to fit 3-4 donuts at a time so you might need to do 2-3 batches.
- If you use food coloring instead of strawberry extract for the glaze, the glaze will be pink but it won’t have strawberry flavor. To add that flavor, you could puree a few strawberries to add into the glaze.
- These donuts are best served fresh and warm. They do not keep well. I give you permission to eat them all on the spot!
Donut Topping Variations
I love my air fryer donuts topped with this sweet strawberry glaze, but you can also use the same glaze recipe with some flavor swaps. Simply swap the strawberry extract for any of the following:
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract: then add sliced almonds instead of sprinkles
- Coconut extract: then add shredded coconut instead of sprinkles
- Chocolate sauce: perfect for dunking donuts in for yummy chocolate glazed donuts
You can also dust your donuts in powdered confectioners sugar or coat them in powdered sugar! A total classic!
These donuts are also great tossed in powdered sugar or a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Just quickly dunk each in butter after they’re done baking and toss them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- 1 tube (16 oz) refrigerated ﬂaky biscuits
- oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract (or red food coloring)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Open biscuits and lay on a cutting board. Using a round 1-inch cookie cutter or donut cuter, cut the centers out of each biscuit.
- Brush oil on the bottom of air fryer basket using a pastry brush or a paper towel. Lay 3-4 biscuits in the basket.
- Cook at 350°F for 5 to 6 minutes, until lightly browned.
- While donuts cook, make the icing. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and strawberry extract – until smooth. Start with 1 tablespoon of milk add more as needed to get a smooth, but still thick icing. You don't want it too thin or it won't coat the donut well.
- As soon as donuts come out of air fryer, dip top of doughnuts into glaze. I do this using tongs, as the donuts will be hot!
- Turn over and shake gently to evenly spread glaze, set on a cooling rack. Top with sprinkles, if desired and serve warm!
These donuts are best served fresh and warm. They do not keep well.
Also great tossed in powdered sugar. Or for cinnamon sugar donuts - quickly dunk the donuts in butter after baking and toss immediately in cinnamon sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g