If you’re a fan of wings, then you’re going to LOVE this Bourbon-Brown Sugar Wings recipe from Jocelyn Delk Adams’ new cookbook Everyday Grand: Soulful recipes for celebrating life’s big and small moments. The combination of the sweet brown sugar and the smoky, rich bourbon creates a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds craving more.
Everyday Grand by Jocelyn Delk Adams with Olga Massov is a cookbook but also so much more than a cookbook! It celebrates the tradition of African American cooking with a modern twist and includes affirmations (LOVE!) and a list of things that bring joy!
Jocelyn is a personal friend through the blog world (as I mentioned in this recipe for raspberry cupcakes from her first cookbook), she is a food blogger (grandbaby-cakes.com) and has compiled over 100 recipes that showcase the diversity and richness of soul food cuisine. From classic comfort foods like mac and cheese and fried chicken to inventive dishes like peach cobbler French toast and jerk shrimp tacos, Jocelyn’s recipes are approachable, flavorful, and perfect for any occasion. In addition to the recipes, Everyday Grand is filled with personal stories, cooking tips, and beautiful photographs that bring the spirit of the book to life.
Jocelyn’s cookbook is filled with amazing recipes (like this one) and would make an amazing addition to your cookbook collection.
These Bourbon-Brown Sugar Wings are the perfect appetizer or main dish for any occasion. They’re sweet, savory, and packed with flavor, making them a crowd-pleaser. Plus, they’re easy to make, so you can whip them up in no time.
Bourbon brown sugar wings recipe
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings tips removed, flats and drums separated
Bourbon-brown sugar sauce
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar a generous tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced or finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Make the chicken wings
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and cayenne until combined.
- Thoroughly pat the chicken wings with paper towels until dry. Place the wings in a large bowl and sprinkle with half of the seasoning mixture. Flip the wings over and sprinkle with the remaining seasoning, then transfer them to a prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven, flip the wings, and roast for 20 minutes more, or until cooked through and crispy.
Make the bourbon-brown sugar sauce:
- In a medium pot, combine the brown sugar, bourbon, tamari, vinegar, ginger, cayenne, and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the sauce thickly coats the back of a spoon, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until completely incorporated.
- Add the wings to the sauce and toss to evenly coat. Return the wings to the oven for 3 minutes more, so the sauce thickens and sticks to the wings - or 8 minutes if you want super-crispy wings - then remove from the oven and transfer to a platter. Serve right away and enjoy every saucy bite!
For air frying
- Preheat an air fryer to 400. Spray the rack with cooking spray and arrange the chicken wings on the rack without over crowding (you may need to do this in batches). Air-fry the wings for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking. Toss with the sauce, air fry for another 2 minutes, then serve.
The post Bourbon Brown Sugar Wings Recipe appeared first on Sweetphi.