Inspired by Spanish Christmas sweets, dark chocolate, and almond nougat are a match made in heaven in this delicious recipe. This amazing candy will melt in your mouth with a rich, sweet nutty flavor. Customize it with whatever toppings you prefer to make your own version! Surprisingly simple to make, this dessert is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or any occasion.
Dark Chocolate Marzipan Nougat [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Marzipan:
- 7 ounces raw unsalted almonds, blanched
- 1/3 cup agave syrup or brown rice syrup
- Zest of 1 orange
- A few drops of orange essential oil
For the Coating:
- 4.5 ounces 72 percent dark chocolate
For the Topping:
- Soft almond nougat, crumbled
- Caramelized pine nuts
- Edible silver dust, optional
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until a fine flour forms, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Measure 1/4 cup of flour and set aside.
- Add in the agave or rice syrup, orange zest, and essential oil and process until a smooth but compact dough forms. The dough should be quite sticky.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dough with the remaining almond flour using your hands. This will make the dough more moldable and easier to handle.
- Press the dough into a nougat or chocolate bar silicone mold. Alternatively, you can roll the dough into a rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it set in the refrigerator overnight or the freezer for 45 minutes, until firm.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Unmold the nougat and place it on a cooling rack. Coat the marzipan with half of the melted chocolate. Let it set in the fridge and repeat the process with the remaining chocolate.
- Directly after applying the second coat of chocolate, decorate with the suggested toppings.